Saturday Session Prep are notes directly from my game sessions. They are completely unedited, sloppy, and unorganized, enjoy! They include both before and after session notes.
Ben failed to prevent the homunculus getting into his body.
Ben has asked Justine to help him look into Mitsuko.
Malcolm uses one of the drive by vans for the bank heist. The police are on the lookout for it.
Patricia has a portrait of Gryffydd.
Ben’s credit rating should decrease.
Things going on:
- Aldrich and the “presidents” will attack the Water office for the keys to the pumps. (They want to make sure no one else can fix the pumps without breaking in.)
- Donovan, scared jumps the gun and burns the apartment building and collects the insurance money.
- Silas tries to stop Donovan leaving but is forced to back off when Donovan claims to have maps of the pumps that they plan to attack.
- Silas then hunts Donovan down.
- Bumping into Silas while he’s clearing out his house/attacking a pump and Aldrich orders Silas to attack
- Showing how powerful Silas’s magic is – hounds and invisibility
- Defers to Aldrich – gives Aldrich power
- Silas is meeting with Aldrich every day to convey orders.
- Silas is to use Donovan’s contacts to help them keep the government disinterested and Dr. Mason to help get rid of other annoying people.
- Aldrich goes to the park and Silas uses his invisibility to get to him without leading someone there.
- Silas now has to help isolate GPS to stop them getting in their way. He uses Donovan’s contacts.
- He goes in with Dr. Mason to the APA to complain about Ben’s file problem.
- Lavinia and Dr. Mason work to get Leslie on their side.
- Silas is also to use force to keep GPS from getting in the way of Aldrich’s attacks.
- Radcliffe lets Cohen off the hook to start hunting Daville.
- Lavinia will try to convince Leslie to experiment on the housekeeper’s children. This will lead to her murdering them with magic and letting Leslie take the blame. (Kill Enemy)
- Michaela whose cat Malcolm squished will turn into some horrible monster.
- Have her try to reconcile with Malcolm. Assuming he fails she then returns home, bumps into Silas (A refined and elderly man, his face handsome for all the grey) and offers to walk her home “it’s dangerous out here…”
- Nyarly starts using his influence to help the players.
- The Dark Force takes root in Benoit’s garden.
- Sam notices smoke coming out of the apartment building across from the tailor shop.
- Luna returns to Benoit’s house.
- The Darkness roots in Benoit’s backyard.
- Malcolm notices a police tail & figures out the Grotto is being monitored.
- Alice Huff tells Malcolm that he really upset Michaela and that he should find out if she’s alright and probably apologize.
- Lavinia finds a way to kill one of the O’Hares. (Only on second run around)
- When Leslie time travels they get a glimpse of something moving quickly towards them in broad angular patterns.
- A possible witness they visit opens the door without them knocking saying their newspaper boy warned them they were coming. If they ask the paper boy they discover he had been mugged one night after borrowing $50 from his boss but he walked into a weird shop one night and the guy inside said he’d spot them the cash if he warned the witness that the investigators were coming.
- Dr. Mason lodges a complaint with the APA about Ben’s lack of files and his problems with his wife and son. An investigation begins.
- The Madhouse Players use their taxi to kidnap one of the investigators.
- In the Asylum the Steward spots Leslie and tries to communicate with them.
- While talking to Dr. Mason Leslie has a vision of the hound.
- Dr. Mason pays a visit to Leslie with Dr. Blue to try to see if Leslie is dangerous. (Channel has told Dr. Mason to skew the results.)
- Bobby Young returns to GPS, complaining that he’s been having weird visions (or memories) ever since bumping into Leslie. He says he remembers getting some amulet from a black haired woman who had a younger boy with her. The amulet made something bad happen and then there are the gnashing jaws again. Further contact with Leslie strengthens the visions.
- The hound starts to attack Bobby while he’s there and he runs chased by it.
The Dark Forest
In the back garden some shrubs have grown thick in the corner leaving a rounded hollow underneath. Every now and then Luna ducks into this space and vanishes within. A person can follow, but on all fours, thorns catching at hair and clothes. The tunnel never opens up, always cramped, completely surrounded by branches and never open to the sky, in fact once inside it seems like the sky above would be on some alien planet not on Earth. If you turn around in the tunnel you are suddenly back at the exit crawling out.
The tunnel leads to a variety of locations. Each fork gives a hint of each place, sounds or smells wafting to the explorer. The branches of the path are so thick that they can’t be pushed through. Each location can only be visited once.
The Dusty Knight
The sound of shuffling and a faint metal clanking drifts down the path.
Along the path trudges a knight in thick grey armour. It appears to be made of stone and he drags his sword along the ground. The knight never stops walking along the path, though he never seems to get anywhere. His shield has an upside-down torch on it.
The old knight talks… very… slowly. He explains that there is a dragon near by that he is going to kill.
The Witches Sabbat
The discordant bars of piping seem to slither down the path.
The path ends at the edge of the dark ravine which has grown thick with thorned shrubs. The distant notes of flute music seem to be coming from the opposite side up the hill some distance. In the clearing three women naked from the neck down cavort around the white stone. Each woman, two younger, one crone like with saggy breasts, wear headdresses made from fur and leaves with no facial features. A stone throne has appeared at the end of the ravine, the two bear corpses leaned against the back of it like guards, though both of their heads have been removed.
On the throne sits a man, clearly old from the grey hairs on his chest, he too is naked from the neck down. The man’s head is covered with the two bear heads, each sewn back to back. Two eye holes have been cut and his sharp piercing eyes stare down at the white stone. He never moves a muscle.
The women laugh and scream as they dance. One has a high pitched cackle, one sounds familiar, and the old chrone seems to chant numbers.
(San loss 1D4/1D6+2)
The Faerie Glade
This path smells of mushrooms.
The path opens on a grassy clearing sloping down to a stream glinting golden in the soft light pushing it’s way through the leaves. Wild mushrooms grow along the bank and in a ring on the opposite bank. It seems idyllic.
However the faerie ring is a nest and disturbing it will disgorge the tiny pests, humanoid in limbs but insectoid in configuration with no head but chomping human teeth. They swarm out and attack their botherer biting at toes, climbing pant legs to savage the face or pull the hair.
Fighting: 25% Bite: 1D3
(San loss 1/1D3)
The mushrooms are all poisonous and cause the eater to become paralyzed. When this happens the faeries come and chop off locks of their hair and if they are particularly unlucky (luck roll) will bite off their finger.
The path continues across the stream. The stream itself leads to the Faerie Queen.
The Faerie Churner’s Path
A sound of buzzing sounds in the distance.
As the explorer walks along suddenly the buzzing and chopping sounds get much louder and a huge beast, wielding buzz saw hands bashes through the path, destroying the trees and bushes as it goes. It wears an apron and it’s arms are mechanical tools tipped with saws and powered claws. Occasionally a steam valve in one arm leads out a gout of steam with a whistle. It’s head is featureless but is split with a huge set of gnashing teeth.
It stops for nothing and any attempt to prevent it destroying trees is met either with no reaction or a savage flailing of one of it’s arms.
Bash: 35% 1D10+5
(San loss 1/1D6)
Following the swathe of destruction to its origin leads to the Faerie Queen.
The Faerie Queen
The golden stream and swathe of destruction leads to a beautiful meadow amidst the trees. The sky is still not visible as the trees arch over the meadow. Amongst the trees beautiful creatures, humanoid in shape seem to stand moving along as if they are sliding the very forest around to suit them. Some lie in the grass eating fruit, others play ghostly music on lyres. Occasionally one of the smaller pixies or a churner is spotted playing the part of a pet or guard.
One creature approaches the explorer hardly moving as the trees move to suit its whims. It seems too beautiful, its features perfectly symmetrical. A mix of human and insect it’s limbs are that of an insect, segmented and far too many tucked under its clothes. Its upper limbs hang in front of it as if it is always supplicating the explorer. Its head appears human, nose eyes and brow all normal, but its jaw is missing and instead has folded mandibles that click and whirr in greeting. Despite speaking in clicks it is perfectly understandable.
The faerie queen wants the explorer to give it their teeth. The faerie’s are obsessed with human teeth since they do not have any and they create their monsters with this in mind. The faerie will offer to lead the explorer out of the forest or to a certain spot in the forest if they agree to give them their teeth. If they do agree several unobserved faeries grab the explorer from behind and take them to a dentist chair like stump in the forest. Then the queen uses her insect hands to pull each tooth out one by one. (San loss 1D4/1D4+2) They then comply with the agreement.
The Naiad’s Stream
The sound of rushing water can be heard down this path.
A waterfall falls into a crystal clear stream. The thick bushes crowd around the trees making a nearly perfect round clearing. The path picks up above the waterfall up a steep scramble up the rocks.
In the pool are white egg sacks which disgorge the dragon fly/human naiad’s. They are very knowledgeable and may appear like alluring human women from behind before they reveal their dragon fly head or legs.
If the explorer can stomach their presence they can answer any questions about the forest and what else is there. They refuse to talk about Nyarlathotep at all and only have a foggy understanding about Yog-Sothoth.
(San loss 1D4/1D6)
The Satyr’s Temptation
The sound of drums and pipes haunt down the path.
Coming the opposite direction is a parade of satyrs, appearing as shaggy wild faced men with goat legs and horns, they cavort down the path with pipes and drums, drinking from brimming goblets. Their music is alluring making the explorer want to dance along in the stamping fashion of the goat men. (San loss 1/1D4)
If they join the parade they soon lose all sense of time, dancing drinking and stamping along until they find themselves thrust out of the woods, legs bruised weak, feet bloody, nails missing and heels gashed. They suffer a massive hangover and fear the sound of pipe music ever more.
The path seems to be widened and large footprints lead up this path.
The path ends at a glade where a massive tree has fallen leaving a dark cavern underneath its uprooted base and the hole in the ground. A deep growling breathing can be heard from within. The ground is dark with foot prints that seem to have bruised the very ground, and three dead stags have been dragged to the edge of the cave, blood seeping from horrible gashes. A human body is there too dressed like a 13th century monk his head ripped off.
In the cave is a centaur, a chimeric creature a horse rump with a human torso twisted on, the horse legs and human arms making its four limbs, and a lion’s head. Three penises snake out of its horse loins. The back of the human torso and horse body are lined with thick grey feathers, though there are no wings. The whole beast is curled up, arms hugging the horse legs, the lion head asleep, feathers bristling with each breath. (San loss 1D4/1D6)
The beast is dangerous, grabbing with its human arms as it stands upright on the horse hind legs or biting with the lions jaw.
Fighting: 75% 1D8+1D4
A scent of sweet flowers, nearly sweat enough to be gagging, floats down the path. Little white flowers bloom along the path growing more common the further along they go.
A small clearing opens filled with the white flowers making it appear almost snowy if it wasn’t for the thick canopy above. One shaft of light falls on a pale white bust on a pillar in the center of the glade. The state is the bust of a classical looking style, young with blank eyes, a straight nose, small mouth and soft facial features, its gender completely indeterminate.
Upon examine the statue closely the person starts to fall in love with it, admiring the way the ears peak from the curly hair, the smooth outline of their neck slightly to the side, even the firm square base where the bust intersects with the pillar. The subtle flair of the nostrils, the pert, almost wet looking lips, the brows, kind but sharp, the hair, pleasingly curly and high on the head, the clear brow. (San loss 1/1D6)
Monitoring the Grotto
The next time everyone is in the grotto Malcolm notices a wire running behind one of the bookshelves. Hidden behind the books is a microphone with a wire running up into the ceiling.
In the apartment directly above the Grotto is a listening office with Officer Wade Montana. He’s been writing down all their conversations and sending it to Justine.
He wont fight back against any attacker, happy to list all the crimes they’ve admitted to the microphone and how killing a cop will hardly endear them to the new Commissioner.
Clue: Donovan has information on the Alchemists and Silas wants it.
- Silas and Donovan meet and Donovan uses his pump map to get away.
- The owner sees the conversation and happily collects his insurance pay out.
Clue: Donovan burnt the building for the insurance money:
- The building owner has collected his insurance check from Donovan.
- The building was owned by Donovan and he insured it against fire a couple of months ago with the help of the Contley Lawyers Office, a man named Monty Anguis signed the forms.
- Monty Anguis used to play poker with Donovan, Faron, and Dr. Mason and happily helped him sign the insurance papers and make sure he could collect the money straight away.
Note: I stole the idea for this monster from the amazing The Book of Unremitting Horror from Pelgrane Press.
After the fight with Malcolm Michaela walked home and bumped into Silas. He offered to take her home, but stopped to get her drunk first so he could do a ritual on her.
Clue: Something bad happened in her apartment.
- There’s glass on the street and her window is smashed out.
- The blinds on the window next to hers twitches shut as if someone was watching.
- All the food not in cans has been eaten. Flour bags, candy and other stuff has all been eaten and licked clean with the patience of the hungriest dog.
Clue: The killer did some sort of sex ceremony with Michaela. And it was probably Silas that did it.
- Parchment with bloody witch symbols have been tacked to all four corners of the bed. Candles were lit around the apartment and a thick fog of incense can still be smelt.
- A circle of blood has been painted around the bed. It looks like someone tried to clean it up somehow, though all the cleaning supplies in the closet seem clean. One spot near the door looks different.
- The bed has been pushed away from the wall. The mattress and sheets are stained with “fluids.” No blood. The covers are all messed up and it’s clear that at least two heavy people were on the bed. The bed has been moved a little out of the circle towards the window, like someone in the bed grabbed the window sill before they threw themselves through it.
Clue: Opal disrupted the ceremony.
- There are a few scratches on the bed post that look like an animal grabbed onto the bed.
- There’s a blood splotch about six feet up the door opposite the bed. The wall is dented slightly and there’s some cat hair stuck to the wall. This is directly over the spot on the circle.
- The spot looks cleaner than the rest of the circle. A little of blood managed to get in between the floor boards where there is also a lot of cat hair.
Clue: Michaela came home drunk with an older man.
- The window that twitched belongs to Tom, a nosy neighbor who watches the street.
He says that Michaela came home drunk hanging off some older man, he suspects he was what some women might call handsome. Michaela was holding a bottle and complaining that “Malcolm never was this nice.”
He heard the two of them through the wall quite clearly. There was some scrapping like they were moving some furniture around, and then a funny singing sound, all rhythmic and out of tune. Must have been Michaela drunk.
Then it was some other kind of rhythmic sound, the bed springs quite squeaky. Course Tom didn’t like hearing that too much. Then the man must of yelled and there was a yowling sound, probably one of her cats. There was a thunk as if someone threw something across the room.
After that was the weirdest bit of all. He heard the man swearing but nothing out of Michaela. He heard the front door slam and when he looked out the window he saw the man leaving. Funny too he had two black dogs with him on leashes, though he was certain the man hadn’t had any dogs with him before that.
Then it sounded like Michaela was back on the bed, all squeaky but less rhythmic, she was alone this time so who knows what she was doing? There was some thumping for a long while after she had finished. If the man hadn’t left Tom would’ve though he was draggin her body around. A sound like licking too.
Then there was that scrapping sound again and then smash from the window.
- Tom peaked but wasn’t sure what he saw and he sure as well wont tell without some rum.
It was slug like, but with arms, it stopped for a moment behind the garbage bins and looked like it gave birth to something that Tom couldn’t see.
- By the rubbish bins around the back is a dead cat. Weirdly its hair doesn’t seem to move, even though its fairly windy. The hair is actually made of teeth enamel. The rest of the body seems to be made wrong in the same way, organs all made of the wrong stuff.
- Malcolm would recognize the cat as Opal.
- One of the bins has been knocked over and all the food scraps inside have been eaten. Several candy bar wrappers look like they’ve been licked open and cleaned.